Labels

Thursday 29 January 2015

D’banj blames Dr Sid for Mo’hits split - 'He was jealous because he felt I overshadowed the group'




Nigerian artiste, D’banj has blamed Dr. Sid for the rift between Dbanj and his former partner, Don Jazzy, which led to the break-up for their famous label, Mo’Hits.
Dbanj recently spoke on the show, The Truth With Olisa. (watch video below)



The Kokomaster, as he is known, told host, Olisa Adubua, that Dr Sid was jealous of him because the dentist turned entertainer felt Dbanj cast a huge shadow.
Dbanj noted that trouble started soon after he and Don Jazzy were signed to American rapper/producer, Kanye West’s Good Music label.
He said Jazzy expressed his discomfort with staying in New York and leveraging their new contracts when they could remain in Nigeria where they were “already bosses.”
“I’m like, we are almost there,” Dbanj narrated to Mr. Adubua. “(New York) is expensive but we can’t guarantee because it’s a doggy world out there.
“I said to him: listen, brother, this is not uncertainty. For Kanye West to see us, na God. And he said he didn’t want us to do it again.”
According to Dbanj, Jazzy remained unconvinced and eventually sought to dissolve their partnership.
“I told him to give me six months to convince him again, maybe to sell my share to someone else, take the money and go try again.”
Dbanj said things came to a head at a general meeting in 2011, where the entire Mo’hits crew, including his own brother, K-Switch decided they did not want to work with him any longer.
The crew then was made up of Dbanj and his brother K-Switch; Don Jazzy and his brother, D’Prince; crooner, Wande Coal and Dr Sid.
“I was heartbroken. K-Switch is my brother, but the truth is K-Switch was with them. My people were not comfortable with me again.”
Still, it is unclear why Dbanj singles out Dr Sid in particular.
During, the interview, a leaked tape was played, where Dr Sid was heard saying that Dbanj, despite one of the founders of Mo’Hits and his boss, did nothing for his career.
He was chatting with popstar, Davido.
Davido was heard saying: “Guy, it is not that D’banj can help anybody. Like if (American rapper) Lil Wayne calls me, I’ll surely go and meet him. If not for D’banj, nobody would have looked at Wande; am I lying?”
To which Dr Sid responded, “Mehn I don’t know. Tanzania and Nairobi, who will they call? It’s Dbanj obviously. Dbanj did more negative than positive for my career (…)”
After Mo’Hits split in 2012, Don Jazzy moved on to form Mavin Records which initially included Wande Coal, D’Prince, Dr Did and Tiwa Savage. K-Switch went with his brother who created DB Records.
“Now I look at it, maybe I did change,” Dbanj told Mr. Adubua. “We all changed. It wasn’t money; it was because we ran Mo’Hits Record like a family. That’s why we failed.”
Still, he insists, “(Dr Did) was jealous. He felt I was overshadowing his glory.”
Meanwhile, Dr Sid, who is currently in United States currently taking a short course in video directing.

When questioned by popular Beat FM OAP, Gbemi during a phone conversation yesterday, Dr Sid said he was surprised D'banj had to talk about what e considered as the past. He also stated that he felt D'Banj should have moved on like everybody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment