Labels

Friday 24 April 2015

Meet Nigerian Journalist Turned Fish Farmer With Unusual Emotional Attachment To Fishes

journalist fish farmer
Read his story below:

I started a fish farm in 1999 while in Jr secondary school. I started with a few hundred fishlings and my farm has grown over the years and I have over 5 thousand fishes now. I studied journalism and worked briefly at Lagos state television but it affected my time in the farm and I couldn’t just let go of my fishes.
I think I’ve become attached and have some sort of emotional connection to my fishes. Watching and feeding them everyday, that transition from fishlings to adults fascinates me.
How does one become attached to fishes? is it the same kind of attachment one shares with their pets?
I can’t really explain how it works but I just know there is this connection. It’s not like I have a particular fish I’ve kept with me for years , I do sell them off.
Do you cry when your fishlings die?
I don’t know if I’m supposed to admit I’ve cried because of a fish but let me share this with you.
One evening I wanted to withdraw money from the atm and get fish food but for some reason the atm refused to pay and that was the only bank in my area. I couldn’t get feed for the fishes and had no one to borrow from. I came back to the pond and all the fishes rushed to the front as they do when I bring food for them but this time I didn’t bring any food. I stood there looking at them, I didn’t know how to explain to them I couldn’t get their food. I too couldn’t eat that night I stood vigil there watching them and waiting for day break so I can go and get their food.”

No comments:

Post a Comment